UPDATED December 10, 2012
The following offers a glimpse at forthcoming construction activities. Please remember that the commencement or completion of these activities is dependent upon weather and the discovery of any 'surprises' in the infrastructure. Thanks for your continued patience and support as we finish the trail.
From Alabama St. to West St. on the north side of Washington St. See map.
In 2012, the majority of construction activity will be the area between Capitol Avenue and West Street.
- Finish placing pavers from Missouri St. to West St.
- Additional bike racks were placed the week of November 12 between Capitol and Delaware.
- Continue placing decorative crosswalks on the north side of Washington, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Meridian, and Illinois. Also place a decorative crosswalk across Washington St. on the east side of Pennsylvania to connect the Central Corridor to the Southeast Corridor. The Alabama crosswalk has been placed and the Delaware crosswalk has been started.
- On Novermber 15, the milling and resurfacing of Washington St. from Capitol Ave. to West St. will begin.
- Complete reconfiguration of pedestrian access across Washington St. at Senate Ave.
- Link Central Corridor to West Corridor by completing plaza on the northwest corner of West St. and Washington St.
- The final phase of plantings will be completed this month.
- Work continues on the northwest corner of Senate and Washington. There is no longer be a pedestrian crossing west of Senate. People are being directed to the northeast corner and are asked to cross Washington Street east of Senate. This will be the new permanent route once the trail is completed.
- The northern half of Washington will generally be closed to traffic and parking for the duration of construction.
- There will generally be three westbound thru lanes between Capitol and Senate.
- There will generally be two westbound thru lanes and a left-turn-only lane between Senate and Missouri
- Between Missouri and West the road will spread back out to six lanes. There will be one right turn only lane, three thru lanes, and two left turn only lanes.
- For pedestrians, the contractor continues to maintain a crossing through the site on the east side of Senate Ave. and at Missouri St.
- There will be temporary lane closures between Alabama and Illinois streets as trail crosswalks are installed.
Anticipated completion dates: The hardscape between Alabama Street and Capitol Avenue was complete in December 2011. The hardscape between Capitol Ave. and West St. will be finished in December 2012 and plantings finished in November 2012.
On-site construction manager: Greg Broz, (317) 383-1196, firstname.lastname@example.org
From Washington St. and Pennsylvania St. to Shelby and Prospect streets on Virginia Ave. See map.
In 2012, the majority of construction activity will be the area on Virginia Avenue between East Street and the interstate.
On Tuesday, December 11, 2012, the contractor will close the ramp to northbound I-65/eastbound I-70 that is between the bridges on Virginia Avenue. This entrance ramp will still be accessible from Calvary Street. The closure is anticipated to last for two weeks. The contractor will be rebuilding some sidewalk, some street, a pavement joint, and upgrading curb ramps.
- Finish installing pavers on the interstate bridge.
- The installation of decorative crosswalks is complete.
- Finish installation of pavement markings and construction of non-trail side curb ramps.
- Finish installation of trail signage.
- Construct modifications to the interstate entrance ramp between the bridges.
- Final planting phase will be completed this month.
- The "Swarm Street" project by Acconci Studio, which is being constructed in the Virginia Ave Garage and CSX Underpass, remains in construction. The contractors encountered water, which introduced technical problems in the project. The team is in the midst of a redesign. Traffic lanes in the area are re-opened. However, the "trail" area must remain closed for safety. Currently, it is anticipated that redesign will be complete and on-site testing will occur in the first quarter of 2013. Construction will resume following the on-site testing and the project should be complete in the Spring or Summer of 2013.
On Tuesday, December 11, 2012, the contractor will close the ramp to northbound I-65/eastbound I-70 that is between the bridges on Virginia Avenue. This entrance ramp will still be accessible from Calvary Street. The closure is anticipated to last for two weeks.
Traffic restrictions have been re-introduced on Virginia Avenue from East Street to the interstate creating two lanes of traffic in places where there is usually four lanes. This will continue throughout construction.
Anticipated completion dates: Hardscape of areas between Washington and East Streets, and between the Interstate and Prospect Street was complete in December 2011. Hardscape of the area between East Street and the Interstate and all landscaping should be complete in December 2012.
On-site construction manager: Brian Andres, (317) 407-3760, email@example.com
From Indiana Ave. to White River State Park on the east side of Blackford Ave. See map. There is additional work on other parts of the completed trail that are included in this contract as well.
- Sod will be installed in locations along Blackford St. yet this month.
- Finish the installation of the signs and medallions.
There should be no traffic restrictions on Blackford Street due to Cultural Trail construction.
Anticipated completion dates: Work should be completed in November 2012.
On-site construction manager: Samer Butros, (317) 407-5543, firstname.lastname@example.org